- 1 cup packed spinach
- 1 cup milk or even better, buttermilk. I make buttermilk by adding a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar to the milk and let it stand for about 15 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon oil. I used melted coconut oil
- 0-1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (or use 2 teaspoons baking powder instead)
If you prefer more smooth color combine spinach, egg, oil, vanilla extract in a blender and blend until smooth. Then add the milk. I preferred adding milk and blending for about two minutes so there were still tiny pieces of spinach. That way the pancakes were more fiber rich.
In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar.
Add the wet ingredients until just combined.
Heat a large nonstick pan over medium low heat. Grease very lightly with butter or oil or fry the pancakes without greasing.
Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter for the large pancakes and use a Tablespoon of batter for coin size pancakes.
For the cranberry sauce
- 1 cup cranberries or any fruit you prefer
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 clementine or orange, juiced
- 0-1 Tablespoon of your favorite sweetener (honey, maple syrup…)
- 1/2 cup water
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook for 10-12 minutes.
For kids under 5 quarter the cranberries before serving.